THE Malaysian borders are finally open after 741 days of Covid restrictions today.
The country is now ready for travellers and Malaysians who are abroad to return home with minimal requirements.
Read more: A protocol for travellers ahead of borders reopening soon
The Ministry of Transport said that the Border Opening General Protocol for common travellers will replace the VTL by air initiative between Malaysia and Cambodia, Singapore and Thailand, beginning today.
Hence, travellers from these countries who arrive in Malaysia beginning 1 April will have to follow the health protocol under the General Protocol for common travellers set by MOH, just like travellers from other countries.
Read more: Travellers must have MySejahtera to enter Malaysia
“For countries which have yet to reopen their borders, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will continue bilateral discussions with them on the VTL initiative,” Transport ministry said.
- According to the General Protocol for common travellers, BEFORE DEPARTURE, travellers need to register in the MySejahtera app
- complete a declaration of their journey, including their vaccination information, that can be accessed via the “Traveller” icon in MySejahtera;
- upload their RT-PCR test result that was undertaken two days before departure;
- verify their COVID-19 digital vaccination certificate through the MySafeTravel portal at https://mysafetravel.gov.my/ (for COVID-19 digital certificates issued overseas);
- non-citizens need to have COVID-19 insurance coverage when travelling to Malaysia.
- Travellers are required to take a professional RTK-Ag test at a private health facility either at the international airport or an external facility within 24 hours.
- The professional RTK-Ag result can be obtained from the MySejahtera app. Positive and negative COVID-19 cases will be handled according to the health protocols as prescribed by MOH.
For Malaysia and Singapore travels, both countries have agreed to opening the countries’ borders for fully vaccinated individuals.
Read more: No quarantine, Covid-19 test needed for Malaysia-Singapore travellers from April 1
The decision to open the borders of Malaysia and Singapore also involves the opening of air borders.
The protocol BEFORE DEPARTURE for fully vaccinated Malaysians and Singaporeans who are entering both countries via flight are:
- undergo RT-PCR or professional RTK-Ag test two days before departure;
- register with MySejahtera app;
- complete the declaration for their journey, including vaccination information that can be accessed via the “Traveller” icon in MySejahtera and upload their RT-PCR or professional RTK-Ag test result;
- verify COVID-19 digital vaccination certificate through the MySafeTravel portal at https://mysafetravel.gov.my/ (for COVID-19 digital certificates issued overseas).
Travellers are not required to undergo COVID-19 testing.
Airlines and international airport operators will ensure that all travellers from overseas receive accurate information and adhere to the health protocol before their departure and upon arrival in Malaysia.
For more information on the health protocol, visit the MySafeTravel portal at https://mysafetravel.gov.my/.