Health DG: 0.51% of new Covid-19 cases on Feb 25 in categories three to five

As of Feb 25, a total of 1,677 Covid-19 cases were admitted to hospitals. (Photo by Zahid Izzani Mohd Said/The Edge)

KUALA LUMPUR (Feb 26): Only 156 cases or 0.51% of the 30,644 new Covid-19 cases reported on Friday (Feb 25) were in categories three, four and five.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah in a statement on Saturday said the majority of the cases, which is 30,488 or 99.49% were in categories one and two.

This brings the cumulative total of cases in Malaysia to 3,367,871.

“Of the 156 cases in categories three, four and five, 33 were individuals who were unvaccinated or have yet to complete the vaccination, 77 were fully vaccinated [but] yet to receive the booster dose,” he said.

As of Feb 25, a total of 1,677 cases were admitted to hospitals, of which 589 (35.1%) were in categories three, four and five, while the remaining 1,088 (64.9%) were in categories one and two.

He said 22,678 recoveries were reported, bringing the cumulative figure to 3,040,850.

On the intensive care unit (ICU) bed usage, Dr Noor Hisham said seven states recorded bed usage of 50% or more, namely Kelantan (92%), Johor (61%), Perlis (55%), Perak (53%) and Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya or Melaka each at 50%.

Dr Noor Hisham said every state is prepared with their quick response plan in the event of an increase in cases requiring admission to the Covid-19 Low-Risk Quarantine and Treatment Centre (PKRC), hospital and ICU.

On the difference in daily data of hospital admissions of Covid-19 cases compared to newly diagnosed Covid-19 categories one to five cases daily, he said the matter was due to patients’ dynamic clinical condition which may deteriorate or improve during Covid-19 infection.

“For example, when diagnosed, [a] patient may be in category 2A and isolated at home through a digital Home Surveillance Order (HSO), but the patient’s health status may decline to category 3 or more and require hospitalisation.

“At the same time, there are also high-risk Covid-19 cases from categories one and two that require admission to PKRC and hospital as a precautionary measure,” he added.

Source: https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/health-dg-051-new-covid19-cases-feb-25-categories-three-five%25C2%25A0

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.