Covid-19 Booster Shots to Open For Those 18 and Above in Brunei

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN (Borneo Bulletin/Asia News Network): The Ministry of Health (MoH) will begin offering additional protection on Dec 17 to individuals aged 18 and above, who have completed the primary Covid-19 vaccination of two doses at least three months before the booster shot on a walk-in basis at all vaccination centres in the Sultanate.

The announcement was made by Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Mohd Isham Jaafar (pic) at the daily press conference on Monday (Dec 13), emphasising that the three-month elapsed time is applicable to all vaccines currently available in the country.

The minister said the change to the time period between the second dose and booster is based on the assessment done by the Vaccination Technical Committee that found two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine may not provide adequate protection against Omicron; and that a third dose being administered three months following the second dose should increase protection amid the threat of the new coronavirus variant.

“Various countries looked into the previously recommended six-month elapsed time and found a significant drop in antibodies,” he said.

“To ward off the highly transmissible Omicron, the booster shot may need to be administered much sooner after the second dose.”

He added that this is particularly important for “people who want to travel abroad”.

The programme, Dato Seri Setia Dr Mohd Isham said, is a continuation of the booster drive for frontliners on Oct 15 and people aged 50 and above on Nov 25.

For those wishing to receive the third dose by appointment, “bookings will open at the end of December via the BruHealth app”, the minister said, while encouraging the public to consider booster to ensure maximum protection amid the pandemic.

Meanwhile, all public hospitals will continue to operate under the current standard operating procedures (SOPs) in the Endemic Phase, said Dato Seri Setia Dr Mohd Isham in response to the possible easing of restrictions at Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha (RIPAS) Hospital for visitors.

The minister also said the health authority will monitor the Covid-19 developments for the next two weeks and an announcement will be made if there are any changes made to the current SOPs.

Meanwhile, on Dec 12, a total of 3,132 individuals received the Covid-19 vaccination, including 3,065 adolescents aged 12-17 years old, bringing a total of 404,959 individuals or 94.2 per cent of the population with at least one dose of the vaccine, while 381,720 individuals or 88.8 per cent have completed the vaccination schedule.

Source: Covid-19 booster shots to open for those 18 and above in Brunei | The Star

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.