PETALING JAYA: Malaysia’s Covid-19 outbreak continued to expand with new cases rising by 18% in the 7-day period from June 27 to July 3 compared with the week before:
* Fatalities went up by three percent compared with the previous week (June 20-26).
* Weekly recoveries fell by eight percent.
* The number of vaccine jabs dispensed rose slightly by 1.4%, reaching a weekly high of 263,012 daily jabs on July 1.
States and federal territories:
* Selangor recorded the highest weekly increase in cases, followed by Kuala Lumpur and Pahang.
* Sarawak, Kelantan and Labuan saw the biggest percentage drop in cases over the week.
One of the things health authorities and experts measure is the infection’s reproduction number, called R0 (pronounced as “R naught”).
The R value refers to the number of people that a person who has the coronavirus will infect.
If the R value is 1 for example, it means that on average, one infected person will spread Covid-19 to one other individual.
An R value higher than 1 means that the number of cases will increase.
If the R value falls – especially below 1 – the disease will eventually stop spreading as not enough new people are being infected to sustain the outbreak.
Malaysia’s R value went up from early March but fell since May 23 to below 1 on June 6. It went up to 1 again on June 28 and has since been on an upward trend.
* As at 11.59pm July 3, 6,261,014 people or 19.2% of the country’s population have received their first dose.
* From this total, 2,539,686 (7.8% of the country’s population) have received their second dose.
* Perak had the biggest increase in the number of vaccine doses for the week, followed by Selangor and Negri Sembilan.
* Daily vaccinations hit new highs in Negri Sembilan (10,951 doses on July 1); Pahang (9,991 doses on June 30); Perak (19,341 doses on July 2); Penang (15,729 doses on July 2); Selangor (55,474 doses on June 30); Terengganu (8,172 doses on July 3) and Kuala Lumpur (49,876 doses on July 2).
* Sarawak recorded the highest daily vaccination recorded in a state or federal territory so far when it dispensed 61,177 doses on June 24.