Masses at St John’s Cathedral Suspended after One Person Tests Positive for Covid-19

KUALA LUMPUR: All public masses at the Cathedral of St John, here, have been suspended until further notice.

This follows the disclosure by the Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur today that a person who had attended the 12.30pm Way of the Cross service and subsequent 1pm mass at the cathedral on March 19 has been tested Covid-19 positive.

“The case has been notified to the Ministry of Health (MOH) and is currently under investigation,” the archdiocese’s communications and media relations officer Patricia Pereira said in a statement.

“The Cathedral and the Catholic Church will offer full cooperation to the authorities and assist them with identifying close contacts, if necessary.

“Please note that the MOH has established a criteria of identifying close contacts and only close contacts will be contacted for mandatory testing and given a Home Surveillance Order for quarantine.”

Pereira said since all standard operating procedures (SOPs) had been adhered to by the parish, those who had attended either of the services on March 19 were not required to be tested unless they had been contacted by the MOH.

“However, should you develop any symptoms of Covid-19, such as loss of sense of smell/taste, respiratory difficulties, flu-like symptoms and fever, please call the MOH Crisis Centre Hotline,” she said, adding that the interior of the church had also been sanitised after all public Masses, in accordance with the SOP.

Pereira said the parish priest of the Cathedral of St John, Monsignor Leonard Lexson, having discussed the matter with the Archbishop of Kuala Lumpur Most Reverend Julian Leow Beng Kim decided, as a precautionary measure, to suspend all public masses in the cathedral for now.

“Parishioners are reminded that the obligation to attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation remains dispensed by the Archbishop.

“The Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur and all our parishes would like to reaffirm our commitment to creating and maintaining a safe environment for those returning to public Masses by strictly complying with the National Security Council SOP and the Archdiocesan Guidelines.

“Nevertheless, we strongly urge the faithful who wish to physically attend Masses to continue to be vigilant by observing the 3Ws (wash and sanitise your hands, wear a mask, watch your distance) and avoiding the 3Cs (close, confined and congested areas).”

Source: https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2021/03/676347/masses-st-johns-cathedral-suspended-after-one-person-tests-positive-covid

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.