Sabah CNY Family Dinner Creates New Covid-19 Cluster

KOTA KINABALU: A Chinese New Year family gathering during the holiday break has spawned a new Covid-19 cluster in Sabah, with 15 positive cases recorded so far.

The Mawar cluster from Sandakan was discovered when the index case, who had displayed symptoms, underwent a screening at a private clinic on Feb 22.

Sabah Covid-19 spokesperson Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun, announcing this today, said the rest of the index case’s family members were subsequently screened as close contacts.

From the contacts, 14 people tested positive.

It is understood that they had all attended a CNY family dinner at home on Feb 12.

Sabah today recorded 94 new infections, with one fatality registered in Sandakan.

A total of 21 patients were discharged from hospital after recovering from Covid-19.

Masidi said 771 patients are still receiving treatment in hospitals (307), quarantine centres (454), and temporary detention centres (10).

Masidi said that throughout the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) period until March 4, the only people allowed to enter the state are Sabahans, individuals whose spouses are Sabahan, Malaysian citizens holding valid long-term passes issued by the Sabah Immigration Department, and non-Malaysians conducting essential services.

Travelling out of Sabah is only allowed for individuals conducting essential services, emergency cases, and medical needs, with permission from the police.

Source: https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2021/02/668374/sabah-cny-family-dinner-creates-new-covid-19-cluster

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.