MCO Extension the Final Straw for Malaysia Open

The extension of the Movement Control Order in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Johor until March 4, confirms that the Malaysia Open will not take place on March 31-April 4.

The shuttle is now in the Badminton World Federation’s (BWF) court to announce new dates or cancel the Olympic qualifying tournament altogether.

BA of Malaysia (BAM) secretary-general Datuk Kenny Goh said the national body are still discussing with BWF for a new date.

Meanwhile, it is status quo for the players and coaches as far as the ongoing quarantine-based training programme is concerned.

“I can say that we are still in discussion with BWF for a new date. Problem is we can’t really tell when,” said Kenny yesterday.

The German Open, an Olympic qualifying event, became the first casualty of the Covid-19 pandemic this year when it was cancelled last week. It was scheduled on March 9-14, right after the Swiss Open on March 2-7.

However, Kenny believes the latest MCO extension would not affect the national squad’s preparation ahead of the Swiss Open next month.

“It shouldn’t affect the team.

“In fact, following the cancellation of the German Open, Wong Choong Hann (BAM coaching director) has been trying to make arrangement for our players to stay and train at a training centre in England,” Kenny added.

The All England, slated on March 17-22, is also at risk of being cancelled due to rising numbers of Covid cases in the United Kingdom.

Source: https://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/2021/02/666407/mco-extension-final-straw-malaysia-open

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.