GEORGE TOWN: Guests who attended an ‘akad nikah’ (wedding solemnisation) ceremony in Bukit Indera Muda on Aug 29 have been urged to get themselves screened after one guest tested positive for Covid-19.
Those who attended the ceremony are required to contact the Seberang Prai Tengah district health office at 04-5397884.
A notice on the issue made its rounds in several Facebook pages this afternoon.
Penang Health Department director Dr Asmayani Khalib, when contacted, confirmed that a notice on the issue has been issued by the Seberang Prai Tengah district office.
“My officers are conducting the line listing. They are doing their very best with regards to this,” she told the New Straits Times.
For now, Dr Asmayani said, that was the only information she had.
It is not immediately known how many people had attended the ceremony or how many people have since undergone screening.
A comment in one of the postings said the guest, who was confirmed to have contracted the infection from Kedah’s Sungai cluster, is currently admitted at the Alor Star Hospital.
She said although the host had prepared the QR code for guests’ registration during the event, some may not have checked in.
As such, she urged all guests who attended the ceremony to report themselves to the Seberang Prai Tengah district health office as requested.
After more than three months of being a ‘green zone’ state, Penang recorded its first Covid-19 case on Aug 7.
Since then, nine other cases were reported, involving all five districts in the state. All the cases were linked to Kedah’s Sivagangga and Tawar clusters and Perak’s Kurau cluster and did not originate in Penang.
On Sept 2, Penang returned to being a Covid-19 green zone state after no new cases were reported. This however changed after a new positive Covid-19 case was confirmed last Sunday.
Yesterday, Penang recorded another Covid-19 positive case, bringing the tally to 138 cases with two deaths.