Indian Pharmacist Dies after Drinking Botched Covid-19 Treatment

Stranded migrant labourers walk carrying their belongings to board a special train from MGR Central railway station after the government eased a nationwide lockdown imposed as a preventive measure against the COVID-19 coronavirus, in Chennai on May 10, 2020. (Photo by Arun SANKAR / AFP)

 

NEW DELHI, India (AFP): An Indian pharmacist died and his boss was left hospitalized after the pair drank a chemical concoction they had developed in an effort to treat coronavirus, police said Saturday.

The men worked for a herbal medicine company and were testing their treatment – a mix of nitric oxide and sodium nitrate – at a home in southern Chennai city.

K Sivanesan, 47, died on the spot, said local police chief Ashok Kumar.

His colleague Rajkumar was recovering from the poisoning.

Kumar said Sivanesan bought the chemicals from a local market and developed the formula after conducting research on the internet.

There are no approved medicines or vaccines for treating Covid-19, triggering a global race for a new drug for the disease that has killed nearly 300,000 people.

Nearly 60,000 cases have been detected in India, which has imposed a drastic nationwide lockdown in an effort to halt the spread of the disease. – AFP

Source: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/world/2020/05/11/indian-pharmacist-dies-after-drinking-botched-covid-19-treatment

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.